The past few weeks I have been thinking a lot about how grateful I am or am not. I started weighing out the am's and am not's and then today it struck me how ungrateful I am about the things I should absolutely be grateful about. I know this is all a bit repetitive but bear with me for a minute longer. Today for instance I was talking with a friend about apartments and views from said apartments and in slight jest I said something about how terrible my view was and what not. Then it hit me so hard it almost hurt. Why am I complaining about anything about my apartment? I have a roof over my head, a bed to sleep on and plenty more like a couch, a nice dining room table, a TV, books, a computer, a fridge that has food in it and so on and so forth. How can I complain about anything having to do with my apartment when I have oh so much to be thankful for? You know I found myself actually getting mad with myself. How dare I complain about my view when you know...it really isn't that bad. How dare I complain about something so trivial when there are people in Joplin who have lost EVERYTHING over night and yet find things to be grateful for?
I could go on about the things in the past month or so that I have complained about that are so...there aren't even words for it. Is it really that hard to find something to be thankful for rather than complain about something else? It shouldn't be. My prayer with this frustration is God would take it and use it against my complaining and ungratefulness. I want Him to use me in any way that He would and will He choose to use me when I have a spirit of ungratefulness towards the things He has blessed me with? Personally...I don't really think so.
So where do I go from here, simply be grateful for that which I have been blessed with and stop looking at the negative side oh so much. Yep...a genuine attitude of gratitude....that's the goal.
No comments:
Post a Comment